United Kingdom

Higher Education


Fresh high school graduates from the UK can continue to pursue their studies through various options. Students can:

  • Continue their university studies in the United Kingdom.
  • Continue their university studies in Thailand.
  • Continue their university studies in other countries such as Australia or the United States.
Pursuing Higher Education in the UK

Once a student has successfully completed their studies in Year 13 and received the National Qualifications Framework Certificate, students can choose to study at any university in the UK. Students must provide their test scores to the UCAS (Universities Central Admission System); a central organization which processes university applications for successful enrolment. Students must provide their GCE A-Level results and IB Diploma to UCAS. Students must choose no more than 5 courses to undertake in university once students have successfully registered.

  • Mid-October:   Admission deadlines to the University of Oxford and Cambridge, including universities in the field of Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary fields.
  • Mid-January:  Admission deadlines for all universities.
  • End of March:  Admission deadlines for universities relating to Art and Design.

However, it must be noted deadlines will differ on a year-to-year basis. Students are recommended to check admission conditions and university requirements at  www.ucas.com


A – Level

This is a chart representing grades obtained from A-Levels with corresponding Tariff Points from the UCAS system.

A-Level grades Tariff points
A* 140
A 120
B 100
C 80
D 60
E 40

International Baccalaureate Diploma

Once a student has successfully registered into the UCAS system, their IB scores will be converted into Tariff Points to use for university application.

IB score Tariff points
45 720
44 698
43 676
42 654
41 632
40 611
39 589
38 567
37 545
36  523
35  501
34  479
33  457
32  435
31  413
30  392
29  370
28  348
27  326
26  304
25  282
24  260

Studying in a Thai University

Students interested in continuing their studies in Thailand are required to provide their test scores and high school diploma to the Office of Basic Education Commission, a sub-office under The Ministry of Education in Thailand. This process is to ensure the student’s high school diploma from the United Kingdom will be equivalent to high school diplomas in Thailand. Once the Office of Basic Education Commission approves of the diploma, students can enrol in any undergraduate programme.

However, each university differs in admission requirements. Therefore, it is recommended for students to check the qualifications of each university before applying. However, it is not recommended for students to participate in entrance examinations if they graduated from the UK, due to the difference in curriculum structure and credits.

Students who graduate from the UK can apply to Thai universities with the following:

  • Diplomas earned through the International Baccalaureate programme (IB Programme) are equivalent to a Thai high school diploma.
  • Students who complete A-Levels must have completed at least three subjects with a minimum grade of E.
  • Students who complete courses in GCSE or IGSCE must do so with a minimum of five courses and grades from each course should not be lower than a C.

The PDF form can be downloaded here: http://bet.obec.go.th/it/images/it/IT_InternationalQualityCompareRequestForm_1-51.pdf

Studying in an International University

Fresh graduates can apply to other universities in other countries. However, each country will have their own set of rules, regulations and admission requirements.

  • – Australia: Students must possess a high school diploma (equivalent to Year 13 in the UK) in order to apply to any Australian university. The university will review the student’s transcript and IELTS or TOEFL scores, in order to be considered for enrolment. However, some university faculties may require students to enrol in additional mandatory subjects as per university policy.
  • – United States: To apply for American universities, students must submit their SAT and SAT II scores in order for a successful enrolment. SAT or Scholastic Aptitude Test are examinations, testing the student’s overall trivial knowledge, ability and critical and analytical thinking before enrolling into university. Students planning on enrolling into American universities are recommended to thoroughly prepare for the SAT. SAT I assess the student’s Mathematical reasoning and English skills through a series of multiple choice questions, fill in the blank or answering in the space provided below the question. SAT II focuses on testing the student’s English skills, science and history knowledge.

Foundation Program

The Foundation Course is a course that prepares the student to enter university without the restrictions of any course perquisites in any of the various disciplines. These include disciplines related to: Art, design, fashion, finance, management and so forth. For students with grades that do not meet the university’s criteria or requirements, the Foundation Course is another alternative for students to enrol into university. To do so, students are required to register in GCSE and IGCSE courses or must possess a high school certificate equivalent, no longer than a period of 8 months to 1 year. Once students meet the requirements and criteria from the Foundation Program, students will be able to apply and enrol into university.

The Foundation Programme can be taken at these institutions: Bellerbys College, Istituto Marangoni or at the International Study Centre in any university such as the University of Huddersfield, Keele for example.